Monday 5 August 2013

Gin and Tonic Cupcakes

A couple of days ago I experimented with gin and tonic cupcakes. My official excuse was that a friend (who himself loves G&T) was having a house party (not that I really needed an excuse to turn one of my favourite alcoholic beverages into a cupcake)!


Anyway, I looked up a few recipes for inspiration but the first batch I made were a disaster - totally the wrong consistency - ended up all dry and cracked. So I changed my approach ... I used my normal basic cupcake recipe but instead of vanilla I added tonic water and lime zest. When the cupcakes were hot out of the oven, I used a skewer to put little holes in the top of the cakes and then brushed them with gin. I let the gin soak in and then brushed again ... and again ... and again.

I wanted white icing so instead of a usual buttercream, I used part Crisco (vegetable shortening), part cream cheese, with icing sugar and of course the compulsory gin and lime zest.

The cupcakes were a total success at the party!


1 comment:

  1. G&T + Cupcakes... Rather a legend, aren't you?! =)

    ReplyDelete